Monday, June 13, 2011




"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."




What do I love?

Yes, I love chocolate ice cream cones, watching kitten videos on youtube, running, yellow daisies, yoga, putting spinach in my smoothies, and window shopping at Williams Sonoma.

But I also have so many deeper loves.  My husband, my family, my church, caring for and listening to others, writing... oh, and Jesus.  

As I was listening to the song that the above lyrics came from this morning (Awake My Soul, Mumford and Sons), I started to think about what my life is showing to others about what I love.  How am I living my life?  Ultimately, what do I love the most?  Jesus should always be my first love.  Yet, I know my life doesn't always reflect that.

Things get in the way.  I forget my first love.  Success, the approval of others, selfishness, wanting to prove myself, the pressures of our society, the want for comfort... all of these things push against me and draw my heart away from God.  John Piper wrote that "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."  So that is what I strive for.  That Jesus comes first, day after day.  That my satisfaction comes only from God.  That my love for God is the most noticeable thing about me.  That the way I spend my time, the career choices I make, my relationships with others, and the words that come out of my mouth all point toward God.  

1 comment:

  1. One time I saw John Piper at a church in La Crosse, although at the time I didn't know who he was and was informed about it years later so it didn't really make that much of an impact on me. Either way, MLPS represent!

    ReplyDelete