Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I love all drinks served warm that contain caffiene. I am usually just a plain coffee or tea type of girl, but every once in a while I like to spice things up with some chai. Now I'm not talking about that gross powder that you mix into milk after you heat it up in the microwave, or the super-sweet syrupy concoctions they make at Starbucks. I'm talking about the spicy chai tea that you steep and add milk and honey to. Like most young, post-college, newly-weds, Mike and I try and save money wherever we can. Due to my love of food and cooking (as mentioned previously), our grocery bill can sometimes already be outrageously high, so I have started to make my own chai tea mix. And I have to say... I think I am on to something here. I am going to give you the basic formula, but play around with it! I won't give away my secret additions... any good cook has to have a few tricks up her sleeve!

Basic Chai

3/4 cup dry black tea
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
milk (regular, almond, soy, whatever floats your boat)
honey

Mix dry ingredients and store in an air-tight container. Use one teaspoon mix per 3/4 cup of water. Steep tea as normal. Fill glass 2/3 with tea, 1/3 with milk, and add sweetener to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment